Forged caste certificate: NDMC engineer gets 5 yrs jail
New Delhi: An NDMC junior engineer has been sent to five years in jail by a Delhi court for securing his job on basis of a forged scheduled tribe (ST) certificate in 1994.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kuldeep Narayan also imposed a fine of Rs 60,000 on convict Junior Engineer (Civil) Upender Kumar Prashad of New Delhi Municipal Council.
The court said Prashad had obtained the job using a forged caste certificate, claiming himself to be of Kharia tribe, a recognised scheduled tribe in Bihar, though he belonged to Nonia caste.
The court held Prashad guilty of cheating and forgery and said he caused wrongful gain to himself and wrongful loss to the state exchequer and tried to unsettle the entire Constitutional scheme for "upliftment and integration of the disadvantaged section of the society in the mainstream."
"The scheduled tribes, who have been kept away from the mainstreams of national life in accordance with their traditional moorings and customary beliefs and practices, have been accorded equality before law and the equal protection of law," the court said, while convicting Prasad.
A case was registered by the CBI in June 2005 against Prashad on the allegation that he had obtained employment in 1994 on basis of a forged ST certificate, purportedly issued by Chapra district magistrate in December 1991.
Later on, it came out that the certificate was not issued by the DM office and it was forged by Prashad, the CBI said.
Prashad sought leniency saying he has to support his family and that he was not convicted in any other case.
The CBI, however, opposed his plea saying he had deprived a genuine candidate who might have obtained appointment in his place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened