Former CJI J S Verma cremated
New Delhi: The mortal remains of former Chief Justice of India J S Verma, who headed a panel to frame a tough law to combat crimes against women, were on Tuesday consigned to flames in the presence of prominent political leaders and those from legal fraternity.
The funeral pyre was lit by Verma`s grandson Amirudh at the Lodhi crematorium where former Solicitor General Gopal Subramanian, a close associate, joined in performing the last rites.
80-year-old Verma, who is survived by wife Pushpa and two daughters Shubra and Rashmi, passed away last night at Medanta hospital where he was admitted on Friday following liver problems and bleeding in stomach.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, senior BJP leaders L K Advani and Arun Jaitley, Union Minister S Jaipal Reddy, CPI(M)`s Brinda Karat, JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav, Prime Minister`s Advisor T K A Nair, prominent lawyers Ram Jethmalani and Prashant Bhushan and actress Dia Mirza were among those who attended the cremation.
"Verma is one of the exceptional judges I knew in my life who was known for his boldness and uprightness," Advani told PTI.
Wreaths were placed on behalf of President Pranab Mukherjee and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
Chief Ministers of Bihar (Nitish Kumar), Rajasthan (Ashok Gehlot) and Uttar Pradesh (Akhilesh Yadav) as well as UP Governor B L Joshi condoled the death of Verma, who was also the chairman of National Human Rights Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region