Former CJI J S Verma cremated
New Delhi: The mortal remains of former Chief Justice of India J S Verma, who headed a panel to frame a tough law to combat crimes against women, were on Tuesday consigned to flames in the presence of prominent political leaders and those from legal fraternity.
The funeral pyre was lit by Verma`s grandson Amirudh at the Lodhi crematorium where former Solicitor General Gopal Subramanian, a close associate, joined in performing the last rites.
80-year-old Verma, who is survived by wife Pushpa and two daughters Shubra and Rashmi, passed away last night at Medanta hospital where he was admitted on Friday following liver problems and bleeding in stomach.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, senior BJP leaders L K Advani and Arun Jaitley, Union Minister S Jaipal Reddy, CPI(M)`s Brinda Karat, JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav, Prime Minister`s Advisor T K A Nair, prominent lawyers Ram Jethmalani and Prashant Bhushan and actress Dia Mirza were among those who attended the cremation.
"Verma is one of the exceptional judges I knew in my life who was known for his boldness and uprightness," Advani told PTI.
Wreaths were placed on behalf of President Pranab Mukherjee and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
Chief Ministers of Bihar (Nitish Kumar), Rajasthan (Ashok Gehlot) and Uttar Pradesh (Akhilesh Yadav) as well as UP Governor B L Joshi condoled the death of Verma, who was also the chairman of National Human Rights Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH