Former MCD Dy chairman acquitted in bribery case
New Delhi: A former MCD deputy chairman and Congress councillor has been acquitted by a Delhi court of the charges of taking Rs 1 lakh as bribe from a man to let him rebuild a new house in place of old one.
Special Judge Ravinder Kaur absolved former Councillor Ashok Jain from the charges of demanding and accepting the bribe from complainant Rishi Pal, saying the "quality of evidence produced by the CBI is weak in nature."
"The CBI has miserably failed to prove its case against the accused (Jain). The quality of evidence produced by the CBI is weak in nature and not sufficient to invoke statutory presumption under section 20 of the Prevention of Corruption (PC) Act.
"Accused Ashok Jain is acquitted of the charges under section 7 and 13(2) read with section 13(1)(d) of PC Act," the court said, directing Jain to furnish a bail bond in the sum of Rs 10,000 with one surety in the like amount to appear before the Delhi High Court as and when court issues notice in respect of any appeal or petition filed against his acquittal.
Rishi Pal had lodged a complaint with the CBI that the accused had sought the bribe to allow him to rebuild a new house in place of his old demolished one in Central Delhi.
He had said in his complaint that when the construction reached the stage of building the first-floor roof, he was called by Jain and threatened that in case Rs one lakh was not paid to him, the building will be demolished.
The CBI had said Jain was caught red-handed on August 12, 2004 while accepting the bribe at his MCD office in Old Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`