Four get life term for murdering man in Delhi
New Delhi: A senior citizen and three others, including his two sons, have been sentenced to life term by a Delhi court for murdering a man who had tried to intervene in their quarrel with another person.
District Judge PS Teji sentenced 61-year-old Jamil, his two sons Nasir and Yasin, and Irshad for shooting Afsar Ali, which led to his death, and assaulting his brother Sharafat Ali.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 each on the four convicts.
The court said it has been established that Afsar had gone to Irshad to ask why he had beaten Ashu, who was known to the victim, due to which the accused became angry and to "teach him a lesson", they first beat him and then murdered him.
"It has been established that accused in furtherance of their common intention, firstly committed murder of Afsar and caused simple hurt to his brother Sharafat," the court said.
Sharafat had lodged a complaint with police, saying, on June 29, 2010, when he was at his Kabir Nagar residence in north east Delhi, his wife told him some persons were beating his brother Afsar and he rushed to the spot.
He saw that Jamil, his two sons and Irshad were beating his brother and after intervening, when he was taking his brother home, the accused again came from behind and caught hold of the victim, Sharafat told the police.
The accused shot at the victim due to which he fell down and thereafter they also assaulted the complainant with country-made pistol, he said.
When passersby gathered, the accused fled the spot and the victim was taken to hospital where he was declared brought dead by doctors.
During the trial, the accused had claimed innocence and said they had been falsely implicated in the case.
The court, however, relied on the testimonies of three eye witnesses of the incident, including Sharafat, and held the four accused guilty of the victim`s murder.
It also noted that the convicts were not first time offenders and were involved in several other criminal cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?