Four jailed for four years on attempt to murder
New Delhi: Four men have been sent to jail for four years each by a Delhi court for attempting to murder a youth by firing at him after he refused to consume liquor with them and join their gang.
Additional Sessions Judge Nisha Saxena sentenced the four saying they along with their fifth associate, who died during the trial, opened fire at the victim due to which he became 90 per cent disabled.
The court said the convicts, residents of North East Delhi does not deserve any leniency for such a "barbaric" act.
"There was no previous enmity. On a trivial issue, the accused fired a gun shot at the victim which resulted in 90 per cent disablement to the victim and thereby spoiling his entire life and career," it said.
The court awarded the jail term to Kuldeep, Suresh Kumar, Devender and Dharmender and also imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on each of them, stating that if realised, the amount of Rs one lakh should be given to injured Vinay, who earlier worked as a driver.
According to the prosecution, the five accused called the victim at Devender`s dairy at late night on August 13, 2007 and tried to compel Vinay to consume liquor and join their gang failing which he would be killed.
It said when the victim refused, the four accused caught hold of him and Amit fired at his chest with his country-made pistol and threw him on the roadside.
It cannot be said this act was committed by the convicts on the spur of moment due to some provocation, the court said adding Vinay was called in the middle of night without any rhyme and reason the injured and was compelled to take liquor and was threatened to be killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Delhi horror: Pedophile held for sexually assaulting 600 girls
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre