Four men get 10-year jail for robbery in Delhi
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sent four men to 10 years of rigorous imprisonment for attempting to commit robbery at a house in Delhi and appreciated the courage shown by the victims in "fearlessly" deposing against them.
The court awarded jail term to Delhi-residents Rajesh (52), Raj Kumar (50), Vinod Kumar (30) and Mahender Singh (28) for attempting to rob valuables from the house of a retired government servant here in January last year.
Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau said the convicts had made all attempts to succeed in their designs but it was due to the "brave resistance" put-forth by the victims, in whose house they had entered, that ruined their plans.
"The victims deserve to be commended and appreciated for the presence of mind and courage shown by them not only during the incident but also for taking pains to appear before the court to effectively depose and inform it about the incident and also for fearlessly identifying the accused who are reported to be desperate criminals involved in many serious crimes for the last many years," the judge said.
The court sentenced the convicts to 10-year jail for offences of robbery, committing house trespass and criminal conspiracy. It also imposed a fine of Rs 12,000 each on Rajesh, Mahender and Vinod and Rs 14,000 on Raj Kumar.
According to the prosecution, on the morning of January 5 last year, the accused entered into the house of retired government servant Baldev Ram at Shalimar Bagh on the pretext of reading the electricity meter.
While Ram had gone to his shop along with his son, his wife Lajwanti and their grand-daughters were present at home.
According to police, Rajesh entered the house first followed by others on the pretext of reading the meter. They suddenly caught hold of Lajwanti and her grand daughter Mahima and put a knife on them to keep them silent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video