Four Metro stations near India Gate to remain closed from Sunday
New Delhi: In a bid to contain flow of protesters near India Gate, four Delhi Metro stations near the War Memorial will remain closed from Sunday morning till further orders.
The metro stations that will remain closed will be Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhawan and Race Course stations, DMRC officials said.
The closing of stations for an indefinite time came following a direction from Delhi Police.
"The stations will remain closed till DMRC gets further orders from the Delhi Police. All the four stations are close to India Gate. However, interchange will be allowed at Central Secretariat station," the officials said.
The decision was taken after protests over the gang-rape of a young girl erupted in Raisina Hill, the seat of power.
Thousands of youth on Saturday clashed with police undeterred by the repeated use of water cannons, teargas shells and baton charge.
Demonstrators comprising girls and boys gathered right from the morning at India Gate and marched to Raisina Hill where Rashtrapati Bhavan and Prime Minister`s Office are located.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam