Fourth suicide at Delhi Metro premises in 6 days
New Delhi: A 22-year-old youth committed suicide by jumping from an elevated Delhi Metro station here Tuesday, police said, in the fourth such incident on the network in six days.
Anil Kumar, a resident of JJ Colony in Okhla, met his death at the Govind Puri station in south Delhi around 11.30 a.m.
He was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead. The reason for his suicide is not known.
Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (Railways) B.S. Gurjar told IANS: "Kumar was standing on the platform. Suddenly he came on to the terrace and leapt onto the road."
The spate of suicides on Metro stations has led its officials to seek help from the commuters.
"We (DMRC) are extremely concerned about the suicides taking place at the metro premises. We appeal to passengers to be alert and stop any fellow passenger by keeping a close watch on the behavioural patterns of the people around them, and alert metro or security staff to thwart any suspected attempt," Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) spokesperson Anuj Dayal said.
"Following the increasing attempts (of suicide), DMRC managing director Mangu Singh has asked to survey all the elevated Metro stations with the intention of raising the level of the station platform railings. At present the platform railings are three-and-half feet high which are likely to be increased to five feet," he added.
Delhi Metro makes over 2400 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on working days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- When Microsoft almost bought Yahoo for $45 billion!
- HC tells cops to act if offence made out against Owaisi
- After Kejriwal's dramatic video message, sacked AAP minister claims his life under threat from Delhi CM
- Ruthlessness and positive the key to success in bowling: Ishant Sharma
- Telangana: suspension of 11 lower court judges revoked