Free flats for scheduled castes, tribes in Delhi
New Delhi: The Delhi government on Monday said it will allot free houses to slum dwellers belonging to the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes communities in the capital.
"Funds in the SC/ST Commission will be utilised for this purpose as the commission will contribute Rs 60,000 on behalf the candidate," Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit told reporters.
"These flats, which used to cost them Rs 3,34,000, will be more or less free," she added.
She said that in addition to the Rs 1,19,000 assistance being given to them under the Rajiv Ratan Awas Yojana, land owning agencies will provide a sum of Rs 93,000 for each eligible candidate.
According to the chief minister, around 16-17 percent people in slum clusters will benefit from the scheme.
Last month, the Delhi government decided to rehabilitate people in 33 slum clusters in the capital.
"In October, around 5,000 flats will be allotted to the slum dwellers," Dikshit added.
The move comes ahead of the Municipal Corporation Delhi (MCD) elections in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested