Free flats for scheduled castes, tribes in Delhi
New Delhi: The Delhi government on Monday said it will allot free houses to slum dwellers belonging to the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes communities in the capital.
"Funds in the SC/ST Commission will be utilised for this purpose as the commission will contribute Rs 60,000 on behalf the candidate," Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit told reporters.
"These flats, which used to cost them Rs 3,34,000, will be more or less free," she added.
She said that in addition to the Rs 1,19,000 assistance being given to them under the Rajiv Ratan Awas Yojana, land owning agencies will provide a sum of Rs 93,000 for each eligible candidate.
According to the chief minister, around 16-17 percent people in slum clusters will benefit from the scheme.
Last month, the Delhi government decided to rehabilitate people in 33 slum clusters in the capital.
"In October, around 5,000 flats will be allotted to the slum dwellers," Dikshit added.
The move comes ahead of the Municipal Corporation Delhi (MCD) elections in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Schools, colleges shut in rain-hit Karnataka district
- NT Awards 2016: Zee News wins five awards in various categories
- AAP advertising budget less than money spent on PM Modi's clothes: Arvind Kejriwal
- ''Disappointment'' over Pay Commission due to Centre's inability to rein in inflation: JD (U)
- Want to live longer? Restrict your calorie intake!