Free of cost surgery for poor pregnant women
New Delhi: From next month, pregnant women belonging to underprivileged sections of the city will be able to undergo free of cost regular and cesarean deliveries at all Delhi Government hospitals.
The city government has decided to implement the `Janani Shishu Suraksha Yojna`, an ambitious programme of the Union Health Ministry to control maternal and infant mortality rate.
The initiative that will also cover Cesarean section deliveries envisages among other things providing free drugs and transport to pregnant women and free treatment to sick newborns in government health units.
Delhi Health Minister AK Walia said the scheme is likely to be launched on August one.
Under the scheme, Walia said all pregnant women from poor families will get free drugs, free treatment besides free transport from home to a health facility and drop back from
health centre to home.
Sick newborns will get free treatment up to 30 days among other services.
Walia said the Government will provide ambulance service or if not that, it may reimburse expenses on transportation of a pregnant woman from her home to hospital and from hospital to home.
The Health Minister was speaking at a function organised to mark the World Population Day.
The national initiative was launched last month by UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi at a function in Mandi Khera area of Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you