Free of cost surgery for poor pregnant women
New Delhi: From next month, pregnant women belonging to underprivileged sections of the city will be able to undergo free of cost regular and cesarean deliveries at all Delhi Government hospitals.
The city government has decided to implement the `Janani Shishu Suraksha Yojna`, an ambitious programme of the Union Health Ministry to control maternal and infant mortality rate.
The initiative that will also cover Cesarean section deliveries envisages among other things providing free drugs and transport to pregnant women and free treatment to sick newborns in government health units.
Delhi Health Minister AK Walia said the scheme is likely to be launched on August one.
Under the scheme, Walia said all pregnant women from poor families will get free drugs, free treatment besides free transport from home to a health facility and drop back from
health centre to home.
Sick newborns will get free treatment up to 30 days among other services.
Walia said the Government will provide ambulance service or if not that, it may reimburse expenses on transportation of a pregnant woman from her home to hospital and from hospital to home.
The Health Minister was speaking at a function organised to mark the World Population Day.
The national initiative was launched last month by UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi at a function in Mandi Khera area of Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- 'Dragon' is coming soon! Alia Bhatt-Ranbir Kapoor ready to roll
- WATCH: Virat Kohli floors Pakistan cricket fans with touching message for Aleem Dar's son
- Ashutosh Gowariker, Kay Kay Menon launch Raj Supe's new book
- Sunil Munjal to step down from Hero MotoCorp Board on August 16
- 'Munnabhai' third part delayed due to Sanjay Dutt biopic: Arshad Warsi