Free water by tankers for unconnected Delhi homes
New Delhi: Houses in the capital that missed out on the government`s free water scheme because they do not have piped water supply will now get free water through Delhi Jal Board (DJB) tankers, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said Thursday.
"Parts of Delhi that do not have piped water supply will get water through tankers. Details of the tanker and its driver along with his mobile number will be listed online according to the particular colony," he said.
"People can call the driver directly and if we get complaints of wrongdoing by him, he will be suspended," Kejriwal added.
Acknowledging the presence of a "tanker mafia" in Delhi, Kejriwal said the DJB has taken stern steps in the last few days and was doing good work snuffing them out.
"Government tube wells (used to fill tankers) that were being operated by this political mafia have now been handed over to the locals in many areas," he said.
Even DJB tankers which are supposed to provide free water were asking for money from residents and were deputed in the same locality for 10 years, he said.
"They have all been transferred," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic