Free water by tankers for unconnected Delhi homes
New Delhi: Houses in the capital that missed out on the government`s free water scheme because they do not have piped water supply will now get free water through Delhi Jal Board (DJB) tankers, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said Thursday.
"Parts of Delhi that do not have piped water supply will get water through tankers. Details of the tanker and its driver along with his mobile number will be listed online according to the particular colony," he said.
"People can call the driver directly and if we get complaints of wrongdoing by him, he will be suspended," Kejriwal added.
Acknowledging the presence of a "tanker mafia" in Delhi, Kejriwal said the DJB has taken stern steps in the last few days and was doing good work snuffing them out.
"Government tube wells (used to fill tankers) that were being operated by this political mafia have now been handed over to the locals in many areas," he said.
Even DJB tankers which are supposed to provide free water were asking for money from residents and were deputed in the same locality for 10 years, he said.
"They have all been transferred," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'