Freed Indian fishermen arrive in Gujarat
Vadodara: The 337 Indian fishermen, who were released from Pakistan on Friday, were given a rousing welcome when they arrived at Palanpur in Banaskantha district of Gujarat by a train on Monday.
The fishermen from Gujarat, including eight juveniles, were handed over to the Indian authorities at Attari- Wagah border on August 24. They had been arrested by the Maritime Security Agency for crossing into Pakistani waters near the Sir Creek had completed their jail terms.
People gathered in large numbers at the Palanpur station to welcome the fishermen, who came by Jammu Tawi Express.
"The fishermen boarded the train from Firozpur in Punjab in the wee hours on Sunday," K B Thakor, Superintendent of Fisheries in Porbandar, who accompanied them, said.
Talking to the media, these fishermen, lodged in Karachi jails, said they were happy to be back home and reunite with their families.
However, some of them expressed unhappiness over the continuing incarceration of their 98 colleagues in Pakistan even after completion of their sentences due to lack of documents. They requested the Central Government to look into the matter and ensure their release.
"The Indian fishermen were kept in separate cells, which were overcrowded. Nearly 80 fishermen were kept in one cell," 40-year-old Rafique Ibrahim Baloch from Rajkot said.
"However, they were provided with TV sets, where they watched Hindi movies and news," he added.
Later, the fishermen left for their respective native places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof