French n-regulator nod for Jaitapur`s EPR reactors
New Delhi: NPCIL on Monday said a safety review
by the French nuclear regulator has made no comments on having
additional systems EPR reactors proposed for the Jaitapur
nuclear project, setting the stage for restarting negotiations
on the delayed venture.
"A quick scan of the ASN report shows that there are no
clear comments on any system that has to be added to the
EPRs," S A Bhardwaj, Director (Technical), Nuclear Power
Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) told reporters here.
He said a detailed review of the report of the French
Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN) would take a week and the NPCIL
would like to restart negotiations by the end of this month.
The talks on signing a commercial agreement between NPCIL
and French company Areva had been stalled after the Fukushima
The Indian nuclear operator was awaiting a report on the
safety aspects of the Evolutionary Pressurised Reactor (EPR)
which was reviewed by ASN along with the 58 nuclear power
units under operation in France.
Post-Fukushima, the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB)
had carried out a similar safety review of all 20 operational
nuclear power plants in India and suggested some additional
On the Kudankulam project, Bhardwaj said the first unit
of the nuclear power plant could be started three months after
the ongoing agitation is called off.
He said a number of contract employees at the Kudankulam
nuclear power project have taken other jobs elsewhere as the
anti-nuclear protestors were not allowing them inside the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?