Gang of robbers targeting railway passengers busted
New Delhi: With the arrest of three men, police today claimed to have busted a gang of robbers who used to loot railway passengers after taking them to a place on the pretext of getting their tickets confirmed, police said on Monday.
The three accused have been identified as Ramesh Mehto, the gang leader, Ram Shrestha and Rudali Mukhiya, police said.
"The trio used to rob railway passengers, mostly people of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh going to their native villages, by promising to get their railway tickets confirmed," N Gnanasambandan, DCP (North-West), said.
The accused used to identify people with unconfirmed tickets at railway stations. They would then approach them, saying that they knew a TC who could get their tickets confirmed, he said.
The accused then took the victims to a pre-decided place where Mukhiya used to pose as TC, he said, adding that they later robbed the victims.
A juvenile accomplice of the three accused was apprehended first.
On a tip-off, the juvenile was apprehended from Wazirpur area of Delhi. On his instance, Mukhiya, Srestha and Ramesh were arrested from different locations last night, the official said.
A total of 11 ATM cards, 98 mobile phones, a laptop, a tablet, a notebook, seven watches, 16 SIM cards, 26 bank deposit slips and 22 suitcase and 62 bags were seized from their possession.
With their arrest, nine cases have been solved, police claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video