Gang of robbers targeting railway passengers busted
New Delhi: With the arrest of three men, police today claimed to have busted a gang of robbers who used to loot railway passengers after taking them to a place on the pretext of getting their tickets confirmed, police said on Monday.
The three accused have been identified as Ramesh Mehto, the gang leader, Ram Shrestha and Rudali Mukhiya, police said.
"The trio used to rob railway passengers, mostly people of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh going to their native villages, by promising to get their railway tickets confirmed," N Gnanasambandan, DCP (North-West), said.
The accused used to identify people with unconfirmed tickets at railway stations. They would then approach them, saying that they knew a TC who could get their tickets confirmed, he said.
The accused then took the victims to a pre-decided place where Mukhiya used to pose as TC, he said, adding that they later robbed the victims.
A juvenile accomplice of the three accused was apprehended first.
On a tip-off, the juvenile was apprehended from Wazirpur area of Delhi. On his instance, Mukhiya, Srestha and Ramesh were arrested from different locations last night, the official said.
A total of 11 ATM cards, 98 mobile phones, a laptop, a tablet, a notebook, seven watches, 16 SIM cards, 26 bank deposit slips and 22 suitcase and 62 bags were seized from their possession.
With their arrest, nine cases have been solved, police claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical