Gang-rape case: Panel finds fault in police response
New Delhi: A panel, set up to probe alleged non-responsive behaviour of PCR vans in helping the Delhi gang-rape victim, is learnt to have found fault in police`s response to the distress call and also failure to stop the bus from plying after being fined several times.
The probe by Home Ministry Joint Secretary Veena Kumari Meena noted that the PCR vans responded to the distress call made on behalf within acceptable time but they could have cut short the arrival time and left the spot with the victims earlier than the recorded time, official sources said.
The inquiry found fault in the part of the police as well as the transport department of Delhi government as they failed to withdrew the permit to the bus or seize it despite violating many rules and being challaned several times in the past.
The report was submitted to Union Home Secretary R K Singh yesterday.
The probe panel was specifically asked to look as to how much time the PCR vans took to reach the spot, whether they delayed in taking action after reaching the spot on discussing the jurisdiction issue or any other issue and whether the PCR policemen took all necessary action as warranted.
The probe also looked into the role of Safdarjung hospital staff while treating the gangrape victim and her friend and recent media report regarding non-responsiveness of Dial 100 helpline to a woman journalist.
The 23-year-old paramedic student was brutally raped and assaulted in a moving bus. She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read