Gang-rape case: Police to include Singapore doctor as witness
New Delhi: The Singapore doctor who carried out the postmortem of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim will be included as a witness by the Delhi Police in the 50-page chargesheet in the case to be filed before a fast-track court here on Thursday.
The male friend of the victim will be the main witness in the case while the Singapore doctor, who carried out the postmortem and the Indian mission official who received her death certificate, would be asked to testify, police sources said.
The main chargesheet will be accompanied by hundreds of pages of annexures, they said.
The sources said under the Indian law, it was mandatory for a doctor carrying out a postmortem in a medico-legal case to be made a witness.
They said none of the six persons accused of brutally raping and assaulting the girl in a moving bus here on December 16 has been made approver as the police has managed to prepare a "tightly knit" case against them. The girl had died in the Singapore hospital on Saturday.
The fast-track court for the case is likely to be notified by the government tomorrow, the sources said.
They said the annexures to the chargesheet will include case diaries and statements of nearly 30 witnesses.
In addition to these, the police would also produce as evidence CCTV footage of the mall where the victim along her friend had gone to watch the movie and forensic evidence collected from the bus, they said.
The sources said the physiotherapy student along with her software engineer friend was lured into the bus at a Munirka bus stop by the culprits.
They said the police will press charges of gang-rape, murder, kidnapping, criminal assault and robbery among other sections of the IPC against five of the six accused while it would send a separate report to the Juvenile Justice Board for the trial of a 17-year-old allegedly involved in the case.
The sources said the prosecution during the trial would demand death penalty for the five accused in connection with ghastly incident which stirred the conscience of the nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!