Gang-rape: Delhi HC raps police for shoddy probe
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday slammed the police for being "evasive" in its probe status report in providing details of its officers on patrol duty in the area covered by the bus in which a young paramedical girl was gang-raped for about 40 minutes.
"In the (earlier) order, the Delhi Police Commissioner was also directed to file a report giving details of the police officers patrolling in the area and the action taken in this aspect.
"On this aspect a report is filed... We have gone through the report and we are not convinced. None of the details of the police officers have been mentioned," a bench headed by Chief Justice D Murugesan said.
The court expressed its unhappiness and said, "We make it clear such a report, giving all the details, be filed without any delay."
The bench, also comprising Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw, made the observation after perusing the status report filed by Delhi Police through its DCP Chhaya Sharma in pursuance of the earlier order by which the court had taken suo moto cognizance of the incident.
The hearing commenced with the court posing a query as to why the report was "evasive" about the details of the police officers who were on patrolling duty during the time when the girl was sexually assaulted and beaten for about 40 minutes in a moving bus on Sunday night.
During the hearing, Justice Murugesan expressed his anguish and said, "It is an evasive report. You have not given any detail of police officers who were on duty. We will write in our order that a comprehensive report is not filed."
Najmi Waziri, appearing for the city police, tried to pacify the bench saying "I agree that more details should have come before the court. Entire bureaucracy is seized of the matter and our primary focus is to investigate the case."
He assured the bench that a more elaborate report will be filed later.
The court has now fixed the matter for further hearing on January 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof