Gang-rape: Delhi HC raps police for shoddy probe
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday slammed the police for being "evasive" in its probe status report in providing details of its officers on patrol duty in the area covered by the bus in which a young paramedical girl was gang-raped for about 40 minutes.
"In the (earlier) order, the Delhi Police Commissioner was also directed to file a report giving details of the police officers patrolling in the area and the action taken in this aspect.
"On this aspect a report is filed... We have gone through the report and we are not convinced. None of the details of the police officers have been mentioned," a bench headed by Chief Justice D Murugesan said.
The court expressed its unhappiness and said, "We make it clear such a report, giving all the details, be filed without any delay."
The bench, also comprising Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw, made the observation after perusing the status report filed by Delhi Police through its DCP Chhaya Sharma in pursuance of the earlier order by which the court had taken suo moto cognizance of the incident.
The hearing commenced with the court posing a query as to why the report was "evasive" about the details of the police officers who were on patrolling duty during the time when the girl was sexually assaulted and beaten for about 40 minutes in a moving bus on Sunday night.
During the hearing, Justice Murugesan expressed his anguish and said, "It is an evasive report. You have not given any detail of police officers who were on duty. We will write in our order that a comprehensive report is not filed."
Najmi Waziri, appearing for the city police, tried to pacify the bench saying "I agree that more details should have come before the court. Entire bureaucracy is seized of the matter and our primary focus is to investigate the case."
He assured the bench that a more elaborate report will be filed later.
The court has now fixed the matter for further hearing on January 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery