Gang-rape: Delhi police yet to confirm age of fifth arrested accused
New Delhi: The fifth accused, who was taken into custody Friday in connection with the shocking torture and rape of a 23-year-old woman here, claims he is a minor, but it is yet to be verified, said police.
Police have collected some certificates and documents from the accused`s hometown at Badaun district in Uttar Pradesh to check his date of birth.
"No document through which it can be proved that he is a juvenile has been detected yet," a senior Delhi Police officer told IANS.
"We are, however, verifying his age," the officer said.
The accused, who was arrested from the Uttar Pradesh district, was claiming that he was below 18 years of age.
Delhi Police have also conducted his medical examination in a hospital after his arrest.
"We were planning to produce him before the juvenile justice board but later changed the plan, as a doubt evolved about his age. He might be a major," said a officer who is part of the investigation team.
The accused will be produced in the appropriate court after the confirmation of his age, he said.
The apprehended youth was one among the accused who allegedly raped the girl in the moving bus.
During interrogation, the main accused Ram Singh had told the police that of the six, three men raped the girl while others were involved in beating her and her friend in the bus.
"The apprehended accused is one among those who raped the girl," said a police officer.
Police had traced the fifth accused on the basis of his physical appearance, which was revealed by four of the accused, who were arrested in the rape case earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues