Gang-rape: Delhi police yet to confirm age of fifth arrested accused
New Delhi: The fifth accused, who was taken into custody Friday in connection with the shocking torture and rape of a 23-year-old woman here, claims he is a minor, but it is yet to be verified, said police.
Police have collected some certificates and documents from the accused`s hometown at Badaun district in Uttar Pradesh to check his date of birth.
"No document through which it can be proved that he is a juvenile has been detected yet," a senior Delhi Police officer told IANS.
"We are, however, verifying his age," the officer said.
The accused, who was arrested from the Uttar Pradesh district, was claiming that he was below 18 years of age.
Delhi Police have also conducted his medical examination in a hospital after his arrest.
"We were planning to produce him before the juvenile justice board but later changed the plan, as a doubt evolved about his age. He might be a major," said a officer who is part of the investigation team.
The accused will be produced in the appropriate court after the confirmation of his age, he said.
The apprehended youth was one among the accused who allegedly raped the girl in the moving bus.
During interrogation, the main accused Ram Singh had told the police that of the six, three men raped the girl while others were involved in beating her and her friend in the bus.
"The apprehended accused is one among those who raped the girl," said a police officer.
Police had traced the fifth accused on the basis of his physical appearance, which was revealed by four of the accused, who were arrested in the rape case earlier.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview