Gang-rape: Delhi police yet to confirm age of fifth arrested accused
New Delhi: The fifth accused, who was taken into custody Friday in connection with the shocking torture and rape of a 23-year-old woman here, claims he is a minor, but it is yet to be verified, said police.
Police have collected some certificates and documents from the accused`s hometown at Badaun district in Uttar Pradesh to check his date of birth.
"No document through which it can be proved that he is a juvenile has been detected yet," a senior Delhi Police officer told IANS.
"We are, however, verifying his age," the officer said.
The accused, who was arrested from the Uttar Pradesh district, was claiming that he was below 18 years of age.
Delhi Police have also conducted his medical examination in a hospital after his arrest.
"We were planning to produce him before the juvenile justice board but later changed the plan, as a doubt evolved about his age. He might be a major," said a officer who is part of the investigation team.
The accused will be produced in the appropriate court after the confirmation of his age, he said.
The apprehended youth was one among the accused who allegedly raped the girl in the moving bus.
During interrogation, the main accused Ram Singh had told the police that of the six, three men raped the girl while others were involved in beating her and her friend in the bus.
"The apprehended accused is one among those who raped the girl," said a police officer.
Police had traced the fifth accused on the basis of his physical appearance, which was revealed by four of the accused, who were arrested in the rape case earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof