Gang-rape: President Pranab Mukherjee cancels New Year celebrations
New Delhi: In the backdrop of the gang-rape of a girl here, President Pranab Mukherjee has decided to cancel all New Year celebrations and appealed to the people not come to greet him at `Rashtrapati Nilayam` in Hyderabad, one of his two official retreats.
"In view of the recent tragic event leading to the loss of a young girl, the President has decided not to take part in any celebration of the New year. The President has also decided not to receive any greetings in person.
"The President has, however, conveyed his best wishes to people for a prosperous and protective New Year ahead. He has urged all citizens to maintain peace, face challenges and strive towards building a strong nation," President`s Press Secretary Venu Rajamony said here.
The President, who was in Mumbai yesterday, had cancelled all celebration programmes including the `At Home` function being hosted by Maharashtra Governor K S Sankaranarayanan.
The President had expressed his shock over the brutal rape of 23-year-old girl in the national capital on December 16. The victim eventually died at Singapore on Friday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand