Gang-rape protests: Delhi turns into fortress, metro stations shut
New Delhi: Complete chaos prevailed with the closing down of nine metro stations in Central Delhi on Monday. Hundreds of people reached the stations unaware that they have been closed due to continuing protests at India Gate against the gang-rape of a young girl last Sunday.
Nine stations, including the busiest Rajiv Chowk, was closed from early morning as people came only to be welcomed by boards that entry or exit to the stations will not be allowed today as per instructions from Delhi Police.
Pragati Maidan, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road, Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhawan, Race Course and Khan Market will remain closed till further orders, according to an advisory issued late last night by the Delhi Metro.
Amid appeals for calm after the protests against the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in Delhi turned violent over the weekend, the police have enforced a complete clampdown over the entire area on Monday.
The entire India Gate circle, Rajpath, Vijay Chowk and Raisina Hill has been cordoned off. A heavy police presence is being maintained on all roads leading to India Gate and other areas of central Delhi.
Media persons and OB vans have also been asked to clear of the area as Section 144 is in force in the entire New Delhi district.
Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh today made an appeal to the nation for maintaining calm.
In a televised address to the nation, Dr Singh said, “I am deeply saddened with the turn of events leading to violent clashes between the protestors and the government machinery over the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old student.”
Meanwhile, the 23-year-old medical student, who was brutally gang-raped by six men on a moving bus, was again put on the ventilator support late on Sunday with doctors expressing concern over health.
The para medical student, who showed signs of improvement on Saturday, was diagnosed with severe infection seeping in her body and platelet levels falling.
Doctors at the Safdarjung Hospital said on Monday that the girl is stable but critical and is on ventilator electively. She underwent a "small operation" yesterday after medical examination suggested fluid collection in her abdomen.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!