Gang-rape protests: Protesters demand better security for women
New Delhi: Scores of people today marched towards India Gate from south Delhi demanding better safety and security against the backdrop of the gang-rape and brutal assault of a young girl in a moving bus 11 days ago.
Around 500 people, including girls, marched from Nizamuddin in south Delhi to India Gate but were stopped at the Zakir Hussain --Subramania Bharti Marg crossing, near India Gate, leading to traffic blockade.
The protest march came amid prohibitory orders placed in and around India Gate after the violence during protests against the gang-rape.
The protesters were demanding sacking of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, fast-tracking pending sexual assault cases, special session of Parliament for enacting strong laws against sexual offences and better security for women.
Police announced that they will not be allowed to move ahead to India Gate due to prohibitory orders. They said if the protesters wished, they would ferry them in a bus to Jantar Mantar or Ramlila Maidan to continue their protest.
The gang-rape of the 23-year-old girl has sparked outrage across the country and there have been demands for stringent punishment for the criminals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read