Gang-rape: SC rejects plea to transfer case out of Delhi
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a petition seeking transfer of the trial in the Delhi gang-rape case outside the national capital.
The petition was filed by lawyer ML Sharma who claimed to be representing one of the accused, Mukesh. However, the entire matter turned controversial after another lawyer VK Anand appeared before the apex court claiming that he was the real counsel of Mukesh and his client had not submitted a plea seeking transfer of the trial outside Delhi.
During the last hearing, the advocates indulged in a verbal duel and began making claims and counterclaims for representing accused Mukesh, forcing the a bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir to adjourn the hearing. The court asked the Sessions Judge to find out who the accused`s actual counsel was.
The Session Judge today submitted before the court that Anand was the counsel of Mukesh and he has denied that his client wishes to transfer the case to Mathura or any other city.
Sharma had alleged that Mukesh is being tortured by the police and Anand was trying to create hindrance in hearing of the transfer plea in the gang-rape case. On the other hand, Anand claimed that ML Sharma was no longer related to the case.
Besides Mukesh, bus driver Ram Singh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur, have been charged with offences of murder, gang-rape, attempt to murder, kidnapping, unnatural offences, dacoity, hurting in committing robbery, destruction of evidence, criminal conspiracy and common intention under IPC. Their sixth accomplice is a juvenile and will be tried separately before the Juvenile Justice Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you