Gang-rape: Union Minister apologises for police action on protesters
New Delhi: Hours after police crackdown on students protesting against the Delhi gangrape, Minister of State for Home R P N Singh tonight apologised to those who were injured during the clashes but said the police action came due to the violence perpetrated by "lumpen elements".
Singh said there was no reason for the students to continue the protests as government accepted all their demands including putting the case in a fast track court and carrying out day-to-day hearing.
"I apologise to all those who injured in police action today. We did not want police beating our own students. But the police action came as some lumpen elements indulged in violence. Anti-social elements were involved in the violence," he told reporters here.
The Minister said 99 per cent students were protesting peacefully and just one per cent were indulging in violence which led to the police crackdown in India Gate and its surrounding areas.
"I assure you that the culprits involved in Delhi case will be punished. They will not get away. Not only in this case, in all rape cases anywhere in India, we are taking action," he said.
Asked whether action will be taken against the Delhi Police Commissioner or any other senior police officer, Singh said "if there is any lapse, we will take strictest action against any police officer, no matter how senior he is."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you