Gang-rape victim a martyr for cause of women`s safety: NCW
New Delhi: Calling the 23-year-old gang-rape victim a "martyr" for safety of women, the National Commission for Women (NCW) on Saturday asked both civil society and the government to work together to stop such crimes in the future.
NCW chairperson Mamata Sharma said the civil society should also assist the government in amending laws related to sexual assault on women.
"The young girl is martyr in the name of women`s safety. Everyone, the government and the civil society should work together and help in amending laws relating to sexual assault against women," she said.
It was the duty of everyone to ensure that such incidents do not recur in the future, she said.
The paramedic student, who was gang-raped and brutally assaulted by six men in a moving bus on December 16, died "peacefully" at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore where she was airlifted on Wednesday night.
Her condition took a turn for the worse last night and she passed away in the wee hours today due to multiple organ failure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'