Gang-rape victim dies: Family hopes death will make India safer for women
Singapore: The distraught family of the young gang-rape victim hopes her death will contribute to making India a safer place for woman, an Indian diplomat said on Saturday.
Indian High Commissioner TCA Raghavan said the family was "deeply affected" by the death of the woman who was brutally raped and tortured in a moving bus in Delhi Dec 16 and left to die by a roadside.
But the family was also moved by a large number of messages of support they had received from everywhere, Raghavan told the media.
"They hope that the death of their child will lead to a better future for women in Delhi and India," he quoted them as saying.
The gang-rape victim was shifted out of Delhi`s Safdarjung Hospital to Singapore Thursday in a desperate bid to save ber life after she suffered multi-organ failure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border