‘Gangrape case hastened introspection of judicial system`
New Delhi: The outrage following Delhi gangrape case has hastened the process of introspection over justice delivery system, Law Minister Ashwani Kumar said today, while cautioning that a perception of legislations being "impotent" erodes people`s faith in the rule of law.
"Tragic events in the recent past that have shaken national sensitivity and has shocked the national conscience have indeed hastened the process of introspection," Law Minister Ashwani Kumar said here.
He said besides those who committed the crime, the public outrage after the tragedy was also against the perceived inadequacies in way procedural laws are administered.
"...Laws perceived as impotent in the face of rage leave an unacceptable erosion of people`s faith in justice delivery system and the rule of law itself," he said.
Kumar was addressing a seminar on judicial reforms in the presence of President Pranab Mukherjee and senior judges of the Supreme Court and High Courts.
He said the ongoing structural procedural changes are aimed at ensuring a credible, responsible and a citizen- friendly judicial process so that the people may have a full faith in the justice delivery system.
"It should be our endeavour to ensure that law works for everyone and the vast majority is not deprived of the protective shelter of the law," he said.
The Minister said the judicial system was under "strain" due to backlog of cases and suggested an improved infrastructure and nourished legal fraternity for a robust judicial system would help overcome the problem.
He also said the Gram Nyayalaya Act which proposes to set up courts in rural areas to deliver justice at the doorsteps of the common man and establishment of model courts would help bring down the number of pending cases.
Over three crore cases are pending in the 21 High Courts and subordinate courts across the country. The Supreme Court is saddled with 66,000 pending cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!