Gangrape case: SC turns down plea to shift trial out of Delhi
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday turned down the plea of a December 16 gangrape accused to shift the trial outside Delhi but it agreed to hear his plea for moving him out of Tihar jail for allegedly being tortured there.
"We are issuing notice on the limited prayer of shifting him to another jail," a bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir said.
The court passed the order on a plea filed by Mukesh submitting that he is being tortured in the jail and fair trial is not possible in the capital.
Mukesh, who has been charged with murder, gangrape and unnatural offences, submitted in his petition that he has been falsely implicated in the case. He filed the petition through his advocate M L Sharma.
There are five accused in the case including a juvenile accused. Besides Mukesh, the other accused Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur-- have been charged with the offences of murder, gangrape, attempt to murder, kidnapping, unnatural offences, dacoity, hurting in committing robbery, destruction of evidence, criminal conspiracy and common intention under the IPC.
One of the accused Ram Singh committed suicide in jail. A 23-year-old medical student was gangraped by six persons who threw her and her male friend out of a moving bus. She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark