Gangrape case: Sonia speaks to PM, seeks swift action
New Delhi: As protests over the horrendous gangrape incident intensified, Congress President Sonia Gandhi Saturday spoke to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asking for swift and immediate action in the case.
She also wanted the Prime Minister to ask the Home Minister to ensure that appropriate measures are taken to protect the victim, who is undergoing treatment in a city hospital.
With the incident fuelling widespread outrage, Gandhi is learnt to have stressed for "action with immediate effect". Her telephonic conversation with the Prime Minister follows two strongly-worded letters from her to Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit on December 18.
In her letter to Shinde, the Congress President had said "It is a shame for us, who are responsible for the security of our cities that a young woman can be raped in a moving bus in the capital of the country and flung on to the street."
She had also noted with concern that it was a "matter of shame" that such incidents happen with painful regularity.
Gandhi had also visited the Safdarjung Hospital the same day to inquire about the condition of the 23-year-old victim, who was in a critical state, after Sunday night`s incident.
In the letters, Gandhi had sought "strictest possible measures" to ensure that there is no recurrence of such a barbaric crime.
The Congress leader said in her letter to Dikshit that "such violence and criminality needs not only to be condemned, it calls for a concerted effort to fight it."
Describing the incident as a "monstrous crime", Gandhi said this deserves not only universal condemnation but also the "Government`s most urgent attention".
"It is imperative that the police and other agencies concerned are sensitised to the dangers that our daughters, sisters and mothers face everyday. The security agencies must be motivated, trained and equipped to deal with the menace. I hope you will initiate immediate action to remedy the situation," Gandhi told the Home Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM