Gangster Abu Salem gets bail, wins court`s praise
New Delhi: Extradited gangster Abu Salem was on Tuesday granted bail in a 2002 extortion case by a Delhi court, which also praised his "above board" conduct in jail.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav granted him bail on a personal bond of Rs 1 lakh and a surety of like amount. Salem would, however, still be in jail as he is facing trial in seven other cases for which he was extradited to India from Portugal.
"This accused (Salem) has already undergone custody of almost five years in this case and even if he is ultimately convicted in this case he could be sentenced maximum for a period of seven years.
"The provision of Section 436 A CrPC which are couched in mandatory terminology command this court to release the accused on bail if he has undergone almost half of the period for which he could be sentenced in the matter," the court said.
The court noted Salem`s counsel M S Khan`s submission that the public witnesses have already been examined in this case and that the three co-accused, Chander Prakash, Sadiq Ali and Ishtiyaq are already on bail and there is no threat that the accused may influence remaining witnesses.
"Considering the fact that accused has undergone more than half of the sentence which could be imposed upon him in this matter and the fact that the public witnesses have already been examined, I deem it a fit case for releasing the accused (Salem) on bail.
The court went on to praise Salem`s conduct in jail and said, "This is a matter of record that the conduct of this accused in judicial custody has remained above board and no complaint of any sort has been reported with regard to his conduct in jail by any authority."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India