Gangster Abu Salem gets bail, wins court`s praise
New Delhi: Extradited gangster Abu Salem was on Tuesday granted bail in a 2002 extortion case by a Delhi court, which also praised his "above board" conduct in jail.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav granted him bail on a personal bond of Rs 1 lakh and a surety of like amount. Salem would, however, still be in jail as he is facing trial in seven other cases for which he was extradited to India from Portugal.
"This accused (Salem) has already undergone custody of almost five years in this case and even if he is ultimately convicted in this case he could be sentenced maximum for a period of seven years.
"The provision of Section 436 A CrPC which are couched in mandatory terminology command this court to release the accused on bail if he has undergone almost half of the period for which he could be sentenced in the matter," the court said.
The court noted Salem`s counsel M S Khan`s submission that the public witnesses have already been examined in this case and that the three co-accused, Chander Prakash, Sadiq Ali and Ishtiyaq are already on bail and there is no threat that the accused may influence remaining witnesses.
"Considering the fact that accused has undergone more than half of the sentence which could be imposed upon him in this matter and the fact that the public witnesses have already been examined, I deem it a fit case for releasing the accused (Salem) on bail.
The court went on to praise Salem`s conduct in jail and said, "This is a matter of record that the conduct of this accused in judicial custody has remained above board and no complaint of any sort has been reported with regard to his conduct in jail by any authority."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days