Gates favours cheaper treatment for TB
New Delhi: Favouring a cheaper treatment
for Tuberculosis, software czar and philanthropist Bill Gates
today said the need of the hour was to develop a vaccine for
the disease towards which Indian scientists should work.
"Innovation is the key word. India will be a key for a
lot of innovations," Gates said at a press conference here.
Lamenting that the tests to check for TB were very
slow, he said most of the people who are afflicted with the
disease find out only much later and thus their treatment gets
He said that after using the microscope to detect the
TB bacteria, a new tool called the GeneXpert is being used.
He wished that the Indian scientists would take the
"basic idea" and make it more viable and cheap.
"The most magic thing would be to have a vaccine," he
India accounts for one-fifth of global TB cases and
the government has announced that it is all set to revise its
National Tuberculosis Control Programme with a new objective
of universal access to quality TB care.
Under universal access, all TB patients in the
community, including vulnerable and marginalised persons, will
have access to early, good quality diagnosis and treatment
The intermediate target is to detect 90 per cent of
all TB cases and successfully treat 90 per cent of them by
India`s DOTS programme is the largest in the world in
terms of patients initiated on treatment, placing on an
average of more than 1, 25,000 patients on treatment every
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what