Geetika case: HC rejects Aruna Chaddah’s bail plea
New Delhi: The bail plea of Aruna Chaddah, a co-accused along with former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda in air hostess Geetika Sharma suicide case, was on Monday dismissed by the Delhi High Court.
"Dismissed," Justice Pratibha Rani said when senior advocate U U Lalit, appearing for Chaddah, enquired about the case after concluding his hour-long argument on the bail plea of 40-year-old accused, arrested on August 8.
Lalit began his arguments earlier for bail to Chaddah, saying "I was arrested on August 8 and (I am) in jail for last 110 days. Moreover, the charge sheet has been filed and if we go by with the charge sheet then only substantial charge against me is the abetment of suicide.
"I deserved to be released on bail as I am a woman and a single parent of a seven-year-old child. Not only that, I have got old and ailing parents to look after. I have also been subjected to custodial interrogation."
The lawyer also referred to the FIR, lodged by Geetika`s mother Anuradha Sharma and her statement, recorded under section 164 of the CrPC by a metropolitan magistrate, to distinguish Chaddah`s role from that of Kanda in the case.
"Except one or two occasions, all assertions (of FIR and other statements of victim`s mother) were against Gopal Goyal Kanda," he said and also cited a report of a gynaecologist in support of his claim that the accused had no role.
Additional Solicitor General Siddharth Luthra, appearing for police, opposed the bail plea and said, "It is not a simple case...It is a case of continued harassment and the role of petitioner (Chaddah) is no less (serious) than (that of) Gopal Goyal Kanda."
Geetika was found dead on August 5 at her Ashok Vihar residence in North West Delhi. In her August 4 suicide note, the 23-year-old victim had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chaddah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves