Geetika case: HC rejects Aruna Chaddah’s bail plea
New Delhi: The bail plea of Aruna Chaddah, a co-accused along with former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda in air hostess Geetika Sharma suicide case, was on Monday dismissed by the Delhi High Court.
"Dismissed," Justice Pratibha Rani said when senior advocate U U Lalit, appearing for Chaddah, enquired about the case after concluding his hour-long argument on the bail plea of 40-year-old accused, arrested on August 8.
Lalit began his arguments earlier for bail to Chaddah, saying "I was arrested on August 8 and (I am) in jail for last 110 days. Moreover, the charge sheet has been filed and if we go by with the charge sheet then only substantial charge against me is the abetment of suicide.
"I deserved to be released on bail as I am a woman and a single parent of a seven-year-old child. Not only that, I have got old and ailing parents to look after. I have also been subjected to custodial interrogation."
The lawyer also referred to the FIR, lodged by Geetika`s mother Anuradha Sharma and her statement, recorded under section 164 of the CrPC by a metropolitan magistrate, to distinguish Chaddah`s role from that of Kanda in the case.
"Except one or two occasions, all assertions (of FIR and other statements of victim`s mother) were against Gopal Goyal Kanda," he said and also cited a report of a gynaecologist in support of his claim that the accused had no role.
Additional Solicitor General Siddharth Luthra, appearing for police, opposed the bail plea and said, "It is not a simple case...It is a case of continued harassment and the role of petitioner (Chaddah) is no less (serious) than (that of) Gopal Goyal Kanda."
Geetika was found dead on August 5 at her Ashok Vihar residence in North West Delhi. In her August 4 suicide note, the 23-year-old victim had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chaddah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'