Geetika case: Kanda`s custody extended by 3 days
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday remanded former Haryana minister Gopal Kanda, the key accused in Geetika Sharma suicide case, to 3-day police custody.
Kanda appeared in Rohini Court as his seven-day police custody ended today.
Delhi Police has reportedly sought extension of seven more days for Kanda’s custody.
Police also said that Kanda has not cooperated in the investigation.
"Some politicians are doing this to malign me. They are misguiding media. Truth will come out," Kanda told reporters before being taken to court.
Meanwhile, Police is planning to question Ankita Singh, a former employee of Kanda`s now defunct MDLR Airlines. Kanda and Ankita were in a relationship and he was close to Nupur Mehta, who worked as vice-president at MDLR Airlines in 2007, the police said.
Investigators claimed they have collected evidences which establish harassment of Geetika Sharma by Kanda.
Investigators had also claimed that the suicide notes they recovered were written on the same day though they bore two dates.
They also said Kanda denied all allegations against him and told them that he was not in touch with Geetika for at least 45 days before her suicide. He also claimed that Aruna, whom Geetika had named in her note, had called her parents on her own and asked her to join duty.
Ankita, a dancer by profession, was spotted by Kanda during one of her `mujra` performances at his Gurgaon farmhouse. Kanda got intimate with her since then.
When Ankita worked in Kanda`s Goa-based casino, Geetika had filed an FIR against her accusing her of stealing her bag that contained her laptop and passport. However, the FIR was later quashed when she returned her bag, Mehta has said.
Nupur Mehta is reported to have said that of Kanda`s 39 companies, 20 had women at the top-most posts.
According to interviews Mehta has given to the media, Geetika was recruited in 2007 when she was 17. Kanda was watching the entire interview proceedings on CCTV camera in another room. He called Geetika to his room after the interview was over and appointed her as a trainee cabin crew; Mehta is reported to have said.
Mehta also said that Geetika and Ankita were both possessive of Kanda. They were jealous of each other`s proximity to Kanda and had even fought.
Geetika allegedly took her life on August 5 in her Ashok Vihar residence alleging that Kanda and his aide Aruna Chaddha harassed her.
After an analysis of the notes in which Geetika alleged harassment by Kanda, police said they were written by the deceased the same night she took her life.
Piecing together the case details, police have found that Kanda had a fancy for beautiful women and loved to be surrounded by them, the source said.
Co-accused Aruna Chaddha, an HR manager in MDLR, told the police that even after the airlines wound up in 2009, 60 women employees of MDLR Airlines continued to work for Kanda in different capacities in his various companies.
Geetika`s family is said to have told police that Chaddha had called them up on Aug 3, the day before their daughter hanged herself at her Ashok Vihar apartment. Geetika`s mother tried to call Kanda on Aug 4 to ask him something around 10 pm but he did not attend the call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video