Geetika Sharma`s mother cremated; another note for son found
New Delhi: Former air hostess Geetika Sharma`s mother, who committed suicide by hanging herself, alleging harassment from those named for her daughter`s suicide, was cremated on Saturday. She left another suicide note for her son, asking him to be "strong”, police said.
Deputy Commissioner of Police P Karunakaran told a news agency that Anuradha Sharma`s note was found from the spot of her suicide, addressed to her son Ankit.
"She said in the note that she was in depression because of the death of her daughter and she too was committing suicide. She asked her son to be strong," he said.
Anuradha`s last rites took place at Punjabi Bagh cremation ground in the presence of her family members and neighbours.
Her husband Dinesh Sharma and son kept crying inconsolably. A distraught Ankit fainted at the funeral but he regained consciousness later.
Blaming the same people - former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda and his employee Aruna Chaddha - that her daughter had named for driving her to suicide, Geetika`s mother said she was taking the extreme step because her family was being harassed by the duo.
Anuradha, 52, was found hanging in her bedroom here at her Ashok Vihar residence around 5.50 pm on Friday.
Karunakaran said that Anuradha was in depression since the death of her daughter August last year.
"On the day of the suicide, her son Ankit had called his mother to have lunch with him at his office, a few kilometres from the house... she refused to step out and said she would eat at home," the police officer said.
"A relative, Jyoti, spotted Anuradha`s body hanging from the ceiling fan in the same room on the first floor where Geetika had committed suicide. She then informed Ankit," said the officer.
A new case of abetment to suicide has been registered against Kanda and Chaddha at the Bharat Nagar police station.
"We are also taking help of call records of Anuradha Sharma to ascertain whether Kanda, Chaddha or their aides were threatening or harassing her family," Karunakaran told a news agency.
Geetika, 23, a former air hostess in the defunct MDLR airlines belonging to Kanda, had committed suicide on the intervening night of Aug 4-5, 2012 by hanging herself from a ceiling fan at her house. She had left two suicide notes naming Kanda and Chaddha for harassing her and driving her to suicide.
Both Kanda, who is the prime accused in the case for abetting the suicide of Geetika, and Chaddha, are now in judicial custody, and have denied the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow