Geetika suicide case: Aruna`s custody extended by a day
New Delhi: The police custody of Aruna Chaddha, arrested for her alleged role in ex-airhostess Geetika Sharma`s suicide case, was on Saturday extended by a day by a Delhi court after the probe agency said it has yet to recover certain crucial documents pertaining to the deceased.
Metropolitan Magistrate Manish Khurana allowed the custodial interrogation of Chaddha till tomorrow after police said the documents of an educational society formed by the MDLR group are yet to be recovered and that Geetika was the president of that society.
"Considering the facts and circumstances of the case and the nature of offence and the fact that police investigation could not be completed because of holiday (Janmashtami), I am of the considered view that one day police remand of accused is necessary for the purpose of investigation," the court said.
The police had sought a 2-day custody of Chaddha saying she did not cooperate during her earlier questioning.
Her interrogation was needed to find out hideouts of the absconding former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, whose name, alongwith that of Chaddha, is also mentioned in Geetika`s suicide note.
It also said that a camera, laptop and a phone have been recovered at her instance.
Advocate BS Rana, who appeared for Chaddha, opposed the plea for police custody saying she had been in police custody for past three days and had even joined the investigation prior to that on receiving a notice.
Rana also said that Chaddha`s presence is no more required for recovering any documents as the same can be collected from the MDLR office or from the registrar of companies.
He also objected to the police not disclosing in open court the reason for seeking extension of the police remand.
Chaddha was arrested on August 8 after she was called in for questioning by the police, while Kanda ignored police summons to him to appear before them after rejection of his request for more time made through his counsel.
Kanda evaded arrest for the fourth day today. Police teams, which searches his premises in Haryana and Delhi, drew a blank.
Geetika Sharma (23), a former air hostess with Kanda`s MDLR airline, had alleged in her suicide note that she was ending her life due to harassment by Kanda and MDLR official Chaddha. Kanda and Chaddha have denied the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations