Geetika suicide case: court again denies bail to Aruna Chaddah
New Delhi: Aruna Chaddah, facing prosecution along with former Haryana Minister Gopal Kanda in former air hostess Geetika Sharma suicide case, was on Monday again refused bail a Delhi court on the ground that she might tamper with the evidence.
Additional District and Sessions Judge S K Sarvaria dismissed the bail plea of 40-year-old Chaddah, who along with Kanda, is accused of abetting Geetika`s suicide.
This was the second time that her bail plea was rejected since her arrest on August 8.
Chaddah had sought bail on the ground that as the police had filed the charge sheet in the case and the investigation against her is complete, she should be released on bail in the light of "change" in circumstances.
Her counsel argued that even if a prima facie case is made out against her, she, being a woman, is entitled to bail as she is also a single parent to a minor daughter and has aged parents to look after.
Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan opposed Chaddah`s bail plea
saying she had not disclosed true facts during interrogation and had accompanied Kanda to Dubai to persuade and threaten Geetika to resign from Emirates Airlines and join back the former minister`s MDLR.
The court noted the prosecution`s arguments that Chaddah had accompanied Geetika to the gynaecologist in March this year, leading to an inference that the victim was being persuaded and threatened to join back MDLR for sexual exploitation.
23-year-old Geetika was found dead at her Ashok Vihar residence in North West Delhi on August 5. In her August 4 suicide note, she had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chaddah, a charge denied by them.
Kanda was arrested on August 18 after he had surrendered before the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa