Geetika suicide: Gopal Kanda told to reply bail cancellation plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday sought a response from former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda on a plea seeking cancellation of his bail in the airhostess Geetika Sharma suicide case.
A bench of Justice V P Vaish was informed that the key accused, who is out on bail, has not filed his reply to the plea of Ankit Sharma, brother of deceased Geetika.
The court has now fixed the plea for further hearing on May 8 and 12.
The plea alleged that Kanda being an "influential" politician, may tamper with evidence and influence the witnesses in the trial.
The trial court had on March 4 granted bail to Kanda after the high court had enlarged co-accused Aruna Chadha on bail.
The trial court had observed that Kanda was in judicial custody since August 2012 in the case.
Chadha was arrested on August 8, last year while Kanda had surrendered on August 18.
They are facing trial for offence of abetting the suicide of 23-year-old Geetika, who was earlier employed as an airhostess in Kanda`s MDLR airlines.
Both the accused have also been charged with forgery for cheating and harming the reputation of the victim.
Geetika was found dead on August 5, 2012 at her Ashok Vihar residence in north west Delhi. In her suicide note, she had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chadha.
The police had in its charge sheet said Kanda was obsessed with the victim and was putting pressure on her to come back to his company.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam