Geetika suicide: Gopal Kanda told to reply bail cancellation plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday sought a response from former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda on a plea seeking cancellation of his bail in the airhostess Geetika Sharma suicide case.
A bench of Justice V P Vaish was informed that the key accused, who is out on bail, has not filed his reply to the plea of Ankit Sharma, brother of deceased Geetika.
The court has now fixed the plea for further hearing on May 8 and 12.
The plea alleged that Kanda being an "influential" politician, may tamper with evidence and influence the witnesses in the trial.
The trial court had on March 4 granted bail to Kanda after the high court had enlarged co-accused Aruna Chadha on bail.
The trial court had observed that Kanda was in judicial custody since August 2012 in the case.
Chadha was arrested on August 8, last year while Kanda had surrendered on August 18.
They are facing trial for offence of abetting the suicide of 23-year-old Geetika, who was earlier employed as an airhostess in Kanda`s MDLR airlines.
Both the accused have also been charged with forgery for cheating and harming the reputation of the victim.
Geetika was found dead on August 5, 2012 at her Ashok Vihar residence in north west Delhi. In her suicide note, she had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chadha.
The police had in its charge sheet said Kanda was obsessed with the victim and was putting pressure on her to come back to his company.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video