Geetika suicide: No trace of Gopal Kanda, kin held
New Delhi: Former Haryana minister Gopal Kanda, charged with abetment of suicide of Geetika Sharma, continues to elude the Delhi and Haryana Police.
In the latest development in the case, the Delhi Police again conducted raids on Kanda`s residence in Sirsa and took into custody a relative of the former minister. The police conducted raids after tracking several mobile numbers.
Kanda has been on the run for the past 10 days. He was charged with abetment of Geetika`s suicide after being named in her suicide note.
Also today, the Delhi High Court is expected to give its order on Kanda’s anticipatory bail plea. A local court had earlier denied Kanda bail.
Police have told the HC that they "already have enough evidence" against Kanda and require his custody for a deeper probe.
Kanda`s lawyer has argued that prima facie, no case is made out against his client on the basis of the FIR and the suicide note. "The suicide note cannot be treated as the gospel truth and the same has to be proved by independent evidence," he told the court.
Kanda was the managing director of now defunct MDLR Airlines, where Geetika was working as an air hostess.
The Delhi Police had summoned Kanda to join the probe but the former minister failed to turn up and the police declared him an "absconder". The police meanwhile arrested Kanda’s employee Aruna Chaddha in connection with the case.
Geetika, who committed suicide on August 5, had claimed in her suicide note that Kanda and Chaddha had been harassing her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam