Geetika suicide: Non-bailable warrant against Kanda
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday issued a non-bailable warrant against former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda in the Geetika Sharma suicide case.
Kanda has been charged with abetment to suicide of the former air hostess. The Sirsa strongman has been on the run for ten days ever since the case was lodged against him and his aide Aruna Chaddha. Both of them were named by Geetika in her suicide note.
The non-bailable warrant was issued by the Rohini court even as his plea in Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail has been postponed till August 24.
Yesterday night, the Delhi Police again conducted raids on Kanda`s residence in Sirsa and took into custody a relative of the former minister. The police conducted raids after tracking several mobile numbers.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate D K Jangala directed Delhi Police to execute the arrest warrant against Kanda by August 24 and file its report.
The police told the court that despite their best efforts they have been unable to arrest Kanda. Order on his anticipatory bail plea has been reserved by the Delhi High Court.
Bunty Bansal, son-in-law of Kanda`s brother-in-law, was questioned by a police team in connection with a call he had made to Nepal yesterday.
A nearly 25-member Delhi Police team swooped on the Sirsa residence of the suspect in the wee hours and after brief questioning took him into custody.
Amid reports that Kanda may have slipped into Nepal, the sources said that police questioned Bansal, who is a contractor, about his nearly 40-minute call to Nepal.
Kanda`s aide and co-accused Aruna Chaddha was today sent to judicial custody for 14 days.
Chaddha was arrested on August 8 after she was called in for questioning by the police.
Kanda was the managing director of now defunct MDLR Airlines, where Geetika was working as an air hostess.
The Delhi Police had summoned Kanda to join the probe but the former minister failed to turn up and the police declared him an "absconder". The police meanwhile arrested Kanda’s employee Aruna Chaddha in connection with the case.
Geetika, who committed suicide on August 5, had claimed in her suicide note that Kanda and Chaddha had been harassing her.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof