Geetika suicide: Non-bailable warrant against Kanda
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday issued a non-bailable warrant against former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda in the Geetika Sharma suicide case.
Kanda has been charged with abetment to suicide of the former air hostess. The Sirsa strongman has been on the run for ten days ever since the case was lodged against him and his aide Aruna Chaddha. Both of them were named by Geetika in her suicide note.
The non-bailable warrant was issued by the Rohini court even as his plea in Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail has been postponed till August 24.
Yesterday night, the Delhi Police again conducted raids on Kanda`s residence in Sirsa and took into custody a relative of the former minister. The police conducted raids after tracking several mobile numbers.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate D K Jangala directed Delhi Police to execute the arrest warrant against Kanda by August 24 and file its report.
The police told the court that despite their best efforts they have been unable to arrest Kanda. Order on his anticipatory bail plea has been reserved by the Delhi High Court.
Bunty Bansal, son-in-law of Kanda`s brother-in-law, was questioned by a police team in connection with a call he had made to Nepal yesterday.
A nearly 25-member Delhi Police team swooped on the Sirsa residence of the suspect in the wee hours and after brief questioning took him into custody.
Amid reports that Kanda may have slipped into Nepal, the sources said that police questioned Bansal, who is a contractor, about his nearly 40-minute call to Nepal.
Kanda`s aide and co-accused Aruna Chaddha was today sent to judicial custody for 14 days.
Chaddha was arrested on August 8 after she was called in for questioning by the police.
Kanda was the managing director of now defunct MDLR Airlines, where Geetika was working as an air hostess.
The Delhi Police had summoned Kanda to join the probe but the former minister failed to turn up and the police declared him an "absconder". The police meanwhile arrested Kanda’s employee Aruna Chaddha in connection with the case.
Geetika, who committed suicide on August 5, had claimed in her suicide note that Kanda and Chaddha had been harassing her.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users