Geetika suicide: Raid at MDLR office, Kanda elusive 5th day
Gurgaon/New Delhi: The office of the MDLR group in Gurgaon was on Sunday raided by Delhi police in the ex-airhostess Geetika Sharma suicide case even as the prime accused and former Haryana minister Gopal Kanda remained elusive for the fifth day.
The police custody of Aruna Chaddha, an accused in the case, was meanwhile extended by a day at Delhi court after the police claimed it has recently recovered an e-mail in which Geetika is stated to have talked about her wish to build a career on her own.
A Delhi police team took Aruna along with it during the raid at MDLR office and seized various documents and scanned computers, sources said.
The team which also comprised some women police officers remained at the four-storey office building at the posh Sector 15 in Gurgaon for around two hours.
Apparently depressed over continuous mental harassment allegedly by Kanda, 23-year-old Sharma took the extreme step at her Ashok Vihar residence in north-west Delhi.
In her suicide note, Sharma, who quit Kanda`s company recently, accused the former minister of torturing her mentally after she left the job.
The Delhi police told the court that it has recently recovered an e-mail written by Geetika to Chaddha where she had said.."I will build my career on my own..No matter how many obstacles one puts in my way."
Additional public prosecutor Rajiv Mohan argued the e-mail goes to show that Geetika was being forced to join MDLR by Chaddha and claimed that that the word "one" refers to Kanda.
"The mail shows that Kanda was creating obstacles in her way by persuasions, allurements and even threats to keep her in MDLR even as she wanted to get out of it," the APP told Metropolitan Magistrate Sumedh Kumar Sethi.
Advocate B S Rana, who appeared for Chaddha, opposed the plea for police custody, saying presence of the accused is no more required for recovering any documents.
He also argued that police is seeking her custody only to "fabricate" evidence against her.
Chaddha was arrested on August 8 after she was called in for questioning by the police, while Kanda ignored police summons to him to appear before them after rejection of his request for more time made through his counsel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official