Gehlot condoles death of gang-rape victim
Jaipur: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot Saturdayd condoled the death of the Delhi gangrape victim, saying that all the states of the country should take "collective responsibility" of such incidents instead of doing politics.
"The death of the girl is very unfortunate and there is no word to describe the pain. The accused should get severe punishment. The government tried its best to save the life of the girl and sent to Singapore for treatment," Gehlot told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
Gehlot said that the state has already taken steps to curb such crimes.
"We have already announced to set up fast track courts and the state is the first to do that. Besides, all senior officials have been asked to monitor cases of women harassment," he said.
"All the states should take collective responsibility for such crime instead of doing politics," the chief minister said.
The state Governor Margaret Alva, condoling the death, said that the nation is in mourning because the victim has lost her battle for life after a brave fight.
"Her suffering and courage have lit a flame that the nation cannot ignore," Alva said in a statement here.
"We have made promises, written reports and expressed anguish at these crimes. It is no longer women crying out for justice. It is the conscience of the Indian people, particularly the youth, that has been aroused. The time has come for urgent, firm and decisive action," she said.
Meanwhile, the Leader of Opposition in Rajasthan Assembly and former chief minister Vasundhara Raje demanded that the guilty must be punished without any delay.
"I am personally aggrieved with this tragic incident which has shaken the country. This is the murder of the woman`s dignity and India`s holy culture, so the accused should be punished immediately," Raje told reporters here.
She also alleged that rape incidents were rising in the state and said that the women will have to create awareness and unite against such crimes.
Meanwhile, several peaceful demonstrations were held in the city where people from all walks of life mourned the death of the rape victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- India responds to Pakistan's offer for talks, says will discuss only cross-border terror
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: This man doesn't give a damn to traffic rules, threatens people on Noida roads; his car has VIP horn - WATCH
- Mercedes GLE 400 4MATIC petrol variant launched in India at Rs 74.9 lakh
- Attention parents! Childhood head injury may up mental illness, mortality risk
- My mom gets worried about controversies: Sonakshi Sinha