Gehlot condoles death of gang-rape victim
Jaipur: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot Saturdayd condoled the death of the Delhi gangrape victim, saying that all the states of the country should take "collective responsibility" of such incidents instead of doing politics.
"The death of the girl is very unfortunate and there is no word to describe the pain. The accused should get severe punishment. The government tried its best to save the life of the girl and sent to Singapore for treatment," Gehlot told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
Gehlot said that the state has already taken steps to curb such crimes.
"We have already announced to set up fast track courts and the state is the first to do that. Besides, all senior officials have been asked to monitor cases of women harassment," he said.
"All the states should take collective responsibility for such crime instead of doing politics," the chief minister said.
The state Governor Margaret Alva, condoling the death, said that the nation is in mourning because the victim has lost her battle for life after a brave fight.
"Her suffering and courage have lit a flame that the nation cannot ignore," Alva said in a statement here.
"We have made promises, written reports and expressed anguish at these crimes. It is no longer women crying out for justice. It is the conscience of the Indian people, particularly the youth, that has been aroused. The time has come for urgent, firm and decisive action," she said.
Meanwhile, the Leader of Opposition in Rajasthan Assembly and former chief minister Vasundhara Raje demanded that the guilty must be punished without any delay.
"I am personally aggrieved with this tragic incident which has shaken the country. This is the murder of the woman`s dignity and India`s holy culture, so the accused should be punished immediately," Raje told reporters here.
She also alleged that rape incidents were rising in the state and said that the women will have to create awareness and unite against such crimes.
Meanwhile, several peaceful demonstrations were held in the city where people from all walks of life mourned the death of the rape victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22