Ghana national nabbed for duping ex-soldier of Rs 6 lakh
Bangalore: A 26-year-old Ghana national was
arrested here today on arrival from Delhi for allegedly duping
an ex-serviceman here of Rs six lakh by sending him a text
message that he had won one million dollars cash prize and
then getting him to pay the amount in instalments.
The accused, Akachi, pursuing his Bachelors in Business
Administration at Delhi was arrested soon after he landed at
Bengaluru International Airport, Deputy Commissioner of Police
(North-East) division, Basavaraj Malagatti said.
After announcing the prize, Akachi asked the ex-soldier,
Tejappa, to pay a certain amount to get it. Tejappa credited
amounts ranging from Rs 30,000 to Rs 1.30 lakh, totally
amounting to Rs six lakh to a certain bank account number,
which was received through another message, Malagatti said.
He said Tejappa`s suspicions were aroused when he got a
message, saying he would receive the prize only if he paid
another Rs 20 lakh, followed by another one that half the
prize money would be paid if he (Tejappa) paid Rs 10 lakh as
Tejappa then lodged a complaint with police who laid a
trap. Akachi was told that the money would be delivered to him
in the city and he was apprehended as soon as he arrived.
"It does not appear to be the handiwork of one person and
is yet to be ascertained who else is involved in the racket",
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city