Ghaziabad rape: Constable suspended for dereliction of duty
Ghaziabad: A constable has been suspended for alleged dereliction of duty in the rape and murder case of a 6-year-old girl in Subhash Nagar area of the district.
The constable, Jamuna Prasad, who was posted at Sihani Chungi, was suspended for allegedly not taking action when the victim`s father had approached him on Wednesday evening after his daughter went missing, Superintendent of Police (city), Shiv Shankar Yadav, said.
The constable allegedly did not inform his seniors about the father`s complaint.
The girl was found dead next morning in a field along the Nandgram-Sihani Road opposite Mariam Nagar. Her postmortem report confirmed that she was raped before being killed.
To hide her identity, the assailants had disfigured her face.
Protests had erupted in the area after the body of the girl was found. Police had to lathicharge and fire teargas shells and rubber bullets to disperse protesters, due to which several people, including policemen, were injured.
Meanwhile, District Magistrate Aparna Upadhyaya today handed over a cheque for Rs 3 lakh as compensation to the victim`s family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion