Ghaziabad rape: Constable suspended for dereliction of duty
Ghaziabad: A constable has been suspended for alleged dereliction of duty in the rape and murder case of a 6-year-old girl in Subhash Nagar area of the district.
The constable, Jamuna Prasad, who was posted at Sihani Chungi, was suspended for allegedly not taking action when the victim`s father had approached him on Wednesday evening after his daughter went missing, Superintendent of Police (city), Shiv Shankar Yadav, said.
The constable allegedly did not inform his seniors about the father`s complaint.
The girl was found dead next morning in a field along the Nandgram-Sihani Road opposite Mariam Nagar. Her postmortem report confirmed that she was raped before being killed.
To hide her identity, the assailants had disfigured her face.
Protests had erupted in the area after the body of the girl was found. Police had to lathicharge and fire teargas shells and rubber bullets to disperse protesters, due to which several people, including policemen, were injured.
Meanwhile, District Magistrate Aparna Upadhyaya today handed over a cheque for Rs 3 lakh as compensation to the victim`s family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened