Girl, man arrested for selling semi-automatic weapons
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Friday claimed to
have cracked an arms syndicate which allegedly sells semi-
automatic weapons and ammunition to criminals with the arrest
of two persons, including a 20-year-old girl.
Zainab Nisha, who is pursuing Class XII through Open
School stream, and Riyaz Mohammed alias Pappu (42) were
apprehended from a restaurant in Brijouri near Wazirabad on
Four semi-automatic pistols, concealed in separate card
board boxes in bags, were recovered from their possession,
Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Cell)
Shibesh Singh said.
The duo were part of a larger syndicate which is involved
in gun-running and supply of ammunition to the criminals in
Delhi and National Capital Region, he said.
During interrogation, Mohammed told police that he
procures arms allegedly from his brother-in-law, who is also a
member of this syndicate, and brought the consignment to Delhi
with the help of women, Singh said.
"Nisha, acting as marketing executive, used to look for
prospective clients among criminals in Delhi and NCR. Once a
buyer is found, Nisha used to inform Mohammed and accompany
him for safe delivery of the consignment to the buyer in
Delhi," he said.
To evade suspicion of police, the gang used to rope in
women to accompany them to deliver the consignment from one
place to another or to a local agent.
"Normally a man and a woman is seen as a couple and they
do not evoke suspicion. They also used to take elaborate
precaution in wrapping of the weapon so as to avoid detection
when subjected to checks by police or X-Ray scanners," the
police officer said.
The gang allegedly used to purchase weapons from Munger
in Bihar and some other places in Jharkhand and used to
conceal them footwear packets, a senior police official said.
Mohammed is a resident of Uttar Pradesh`s Firozabad town,
while Nisha stays in Mustafabad area in the capital. Besides
pursuing her studies, Nisha also does part-time jobs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25