Girls cheated by teenager of Rs 4.17 lakh for college admn
New Delhi: A youth and his friend were
arrested in the national capital for allegedly cheating two
girls of over Rs four lakh by promising them seats in a
prominent city college, police said today.
The arrested have been identified as Hitesh (19), the
alleged mastermind, and Shakti (21), Additional Commissioner
of Police (Crime) Neeraj Thakur said.
The arrests came following complaints by 17-year-old
Manisha and her neighbour 20-year-old Pallavi (both names
changed). Manisha was seeking admission for a degree course
while Pallavi was eyeing a seat in a post-graduate course.
Manisha was worried about her Class XII marks and
whether she would be able to make it through the cut off
percentage set by Delhi University.
In July, Manisha met Hitesh, who was allegedly posing
as Amandeep, inside the college located in North Campus.
He allegedly convinced her of his "good connections"
and promised her admission in the college.
"A deal was struck and her family gave Hitesh Rs 1.5
lakh in cash. Hitesh and Shakti told her that her admission
into the college would be confirmed by the time the academic
session began in August.
"They took all her original marks sheets and
educational certificates as well. To convince her, they gave
her a fake receipt of Rs 12,000 as payment of the college
fees," Thakur said.
Pallavi was also seeking admission in the same College
for a PG course and paid Rs 2.67 lakh to the duo. She was also
allegedly given a fake receipt.
"Soon thereafter, Hitesh switched off his mobile
telephone and the duo became untraceable," Thakur said. They
lost money as well as all their original marks sheets and
Hitesh and Shakti were traced to their respective
residences and arrested late last night.
Marks sheets and certificates belonging to Manisha
have been recovered.
They told police that they have burnt the mark sheets
and certificates of Pallavi. Part of the cheated amount Rs
70,000 has been recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh