Girl`s death due to rabies: HC orders post-mortem
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday ordered immediate post-mortem on the body of a girl, who died of rabies, after her family members approached it complaining that neither autopsy has been done nor her body handed over.
The court had earlier intervened and asked the Health department of Delhi government to order Max Super Speciality Hospital at Patparganj not to discharge 23-year-old Kavita Joshi from the hospital.
The family members today moved the court again after her untimely demise alleging that the hospital and other authorities have neither performed the postmortem since Friday nor have allowed them to pay last respect to the departed soul.
Justice Manmohan, who issued notice to Delhi government, Police Commissioner and others including the hospital for tomorrow, was informed by the counsel for the government that the postmortem would be conducted today itself.
Zubeda Begum, appearing for Delhi government, also assured the court that the family members will be allowed to see the body before the post-mortem.
Joshi had been on ventilator since May 5 after being bitten by a dog.
The plea, filed through lawyers R K Saini and Awadh Kaushik, has sought a direction to Delhi government to form a board of doctors in consultation with Delhi Medical Council to probe into the death Joshi and "to ascertain as to whether there have been lapses in her medical treatment while being admitted with the hospital."
"A writ of mandamus directing and commanding the respondent No. 1 and 2 (Govt and police) to conduct the postmortem ... By a board of government doctors in which no doctor of Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital be a member and thereafter, to hand over her body to her family without any further delay," it said.
The plea has also sought a direction to authorities to videograph the post-mortem process.
The plea alleged the officials of the hospital became "annoyed and furious" and started abusing the family members and attendants of the deceased and pushed them out of the hospital on May 7.
They also appointed personal guards on the hospital gate in order to prevent their entry into the hospital, it said.
It further said "the hospital management did not provide any status about the condition and treatment of the patient (deceased) rather on asking, they very arrogantly and furiously passed contemptuous comments".
"On May 9, the family members of the deceased heard some whispers that the patient had expired and they requested the management of hospital to allow them to see the deceased but they were not allowed," the plea added.
The court, on May 8, had directed the hospital not to discharge the patient and "continue the requisite treatment".
The staff had started insisting her parents get her discharged from the hospital and they said she be taken to some other place as there was a risk of infection, the plea said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in