Girls edge out boys in BCI entrance exam as Bihar tops it
New Delhi: Aspiring female advocates have
edged out their male counterparts with 72 per cent of girls
clearing the first All India Bar Examination (AIBE).
Male candidates were slightly behind with 71 per cent of
them qualifying the mandatory entrance examination conducted
by Bar Council of India (BCI).
Out of 22,000 aspirants, 71.3 per cent candidates
cleared the AIBE, which from the current year has become
mandatory for all lawyers prior to their enrolment in bar
However, a surprising feature was the highest pass
percentage of 98.1 per cent recorded by Bihar, followed by
Sikkim (92 per cent) and Assam (91 per cent).
Addressing a press conference here today, BCI Chairman
and Solicitor General of India Gopal Subramanium said that out
of the 22,000 students who registered for the AIBE, about 96
per cent of the students appeared for the test at 41 venues
spread over 26 cities in the country.
Delhi and Uttarakhand have a success rate of 89 per
cent, while Orissa, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh recorded a
pass percentage of 88, 81 and 79 respectively.
Chhattisgarh scored poorly with 39 per cent only, while
Madhya Pradesh recorded 52 per cent.
"The test was done to access the analytical capability
and basic knowledge of law of an advocate," Subramanium said.
He said the three-and-half hour exam was loaded with 100
multiple questions from 20 subjects, in nine different
languages under the open book format.
"The mandate of the Supreme Court was with the BCI in
this issue and a new era of legal reforms has been started,"
he said adding "wall of elitism and regimentation" would be
brought down in legal profession by this.
The BCI chairman said the exams at Chennai centre would
be conducted in the third week as they were postponed due to
protests from the local lawyers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- Copa-Euro showdown: Proposal made for match between Copa America and Euro 2016 winners
- World doping watchdog WADA shuts down Rio Olympic lab
- 'What is the EU?' searches spike on Google after shattering Brexit vote
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother