GoM for facelift of unauthorised areas in Delhi
New Delhi: Unhappy over slow pace of
utilisation of funds, the Delhi government on Monday appointed a Group
of Ministers to suggest new development projects in
unauthorised and resettlement colonies as well as rural and
urban villages, where over 70 lakh people live.
The decision to set up the GoM, to be headed by PWD
Minister Rajkumar Chauhan, was taken at a Cabinet meeting
presided by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
Officials said various government departments could spend
around Rs 1,900 crore in the first five months of the
financial year out of the total plan outlay of Rs 13,600 crore
made in the annual budget.
The move to set up the GoM is also seen as part of
Congress` preparation for the MCD polls to be held early next
year as residents of unauthorised colonies, resettlement
colonies and villages constitute a huge segment of total
electorate in the city.
"The GoM will look into the various problems being
currently faced by unauthorised colonies, slums including
katras, resettlement colonies, urbanised villages and rural
villages in the capital city," Dikshit said.
She said the GoM has been asked submit its report within
a month following which government will take decisions on
improving infrastructure in the identified areas.
"The GoM has been asked to thoroughly look into problems
as a large part of the population of Delhi is putting up in
these localities. Many such localities do not have civic
services like sewerage, drinking water and roads," she said.
Officials claimed that various government departments have
not shown enthusiasm in spending the money given to them under
plan allocation as they are apprehensive of approving projects
following adverse reports by CAG and Shunglu Committee on
Commonwealth Games spendings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt