GoM for facelift of unauthorised areas in Delhi
New Delhi: Unhappy over slow pace of
utilisation of funds, the Delhi government on Monday appointed a Group
of Ministers to suggest new development projects in
unauthorised and resettlement colonies as well as rural and
urban villages, where over 70 lakh people live.
The decision to set up the GoM, to be headed by PWD
Minister Rajkumar Chauhan, was taken at a Cabinet meeting
presided by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
Officials said various government departments could spend
around Rs 1,900 crore in the first five months of the
financial year out of the total plan outlay of Rs 13,600 crore
made in the annual budget.
The move to set up the GoM is also seen as part of
Congress` preparation for the MCD polls to be held early next
year as residents of unauthorised colonies, resettlement
colonies and villages constitute a huge segment of total
electorate in the city.
"The GoM will look into the various problems being
currently faced by unauthorised colonies, slums including
katras, resettlement colonies, urbanised villages and rural
villages in the capital city," Dikshit said.
She said the GoM has been asked submit its report within
a month following which government will take decisions on
improving infrastructure in the identified areas.
"The GoM has been asked to thoroughly look into problems
as a large part of the population of Delhi is putting up in
these localities. Many such localities do not have civic
services like sewerage, drinking water and roads," she said.
Officials claimed that various government departments have
not shown enthusiasm in spending the money given to them under
plan allocation as they are apprehensive of approving projects
following adverse reports by CAG and Shunglu Committee on
Commonwealth Games spendings.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!