Good job done despite `difficulties` from Home Min: Dikshit to babus
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday complimented top bureaucrats of her government for their "diligent performance" despite facing "difficulties" from the Union Home Ministry.
"We are facing lot of difficulties from the Home Ministry. I know you are working under pressure. But still you have been doing a good job," Dikshit said in an address to senior officials of the government.
Referring to transfer of large number of bureaucrats of her administration by the Union Home Ministry, Dikshit said the implementation of various projects and schemes of the city government were not affected despite shortage of officials.
In May last year, the Union Home Ministry had transferred 25 senior officials of Delhi Government which was strongly opposed by Dikshit who had even complained to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh against the "unilateral decision".
Dikshit had opposed the decision saying there is a severe shortage of officials in Delhi government as against the sanctioned strength, and transfer of the huge number of officials will seriously affect governance.
She had taken up the issue with then Home Minister P Chidambaram. Despite her opposition to the transfer, the Ministry in June had issued showcause notices to the officials of DANICS (Delhi, Andaman Nicobar Island Civil Services) asking to explain why they did not comply with its orders.
Though some officials joined new postings out of Delhi, most of the 25 officials were not relieved by the city government.
Dikshit has been insisting that the Union Home Ministry should hold discussion with the city government before it transfers senior officials of her administration.
In February 2011, the Union Home Ministry had also transfered several top IAS officials of her government. Following Dikshit`s intervention, transfer of a number of officials was delayed by the Ministry.
In her address, Dikshit said her government has managed to achieve a lot inspite of having no administrative control over land and police.
The Delhi Police is under direct control of the Union Home Ministry while land owning agency Delhi Development Authority functions under the Union Urban Development Ministry.
Dikshit had been demanding that traffic and certain aspects of policing like law and order be handed over to the city government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi