Good job done despite `difficulties` from Home Min: Dikshit to babus
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday complimented top bureaucrats of her government for their "diligent performance" despite facing "difficulties" from the Union Home Ministry.
"We are facing lot of difficulties from the Home Ministry. I know you are working under pressure. But still you have been doing a good job," Dikshit said in an address to senior officials of the government.
Referring to transfer of large number of bureaucrats of her administration by the Union Home Ministry, Dikshit said the implementation of various projects and schemes of the city government were not affected despite shortage of officials.
In May last year, the Union Home Ministry had transferred 25 senior officials of Delhi Government which was strongly opposed by Dikshit who had even complained to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh against the "unilateral decision".
Dikshit had opposed the decision saying there is a severe shortage of officials in Delhi government as against the sanctioned strength, and transfer of the huge number of officials will seriously affect governance.
She had taken up the issue with then Home Minister P Chidambaram. Despite her opposition to the transfer, the Ministry in June had issued showcause notices to the officials of DANICS (Delhi, Andaman Nicobar Island Civil Services) asking to explain why they did not comply with its orders.
Though some officials joined new postings out of Delhi, most of the 25 officials were not relieved by the city government.
Dikshit has been insisting that the Union Home Ministry should hold discussion with the city government before it transfers senior officials of her administration.
In February 2011, the Union Home Ministry had also transfered several top IAS officials of her government. Following Dikshit`s intervention, transfer of a number of officials was delayed by the Ministry.
In her address, Dikshit said her government has managed to achieve a lot inspite of having no administrative control over land and police.
The Delhi Police is under direct control of the Union Home Ministry while land owning agency Delhi Development Authority functions under the Union Urban Development Ministry.
Dikshit had been demanding that traffic and certain aspects of policing like law and order be handed over to the city government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what