Gopinath Munde death: CBI inspects crime scene
New Delhi: Initiating the probe into the death of former Union Minister Gopinath Munde, CBI on Tuesday inspected the crime scene where he had met with the accident which collided with a taxi here on June 3.
CBI sources said the special crime team of the agency also met the Delhi Police officials, who probed the matter, and collected relevant documents from them.
The agency had yesterday registered the case on the request of the Home Ministry.
"The Central Bureau of Investigation has registered a case U/s 279 (rash driving) and 304A (causing death by negligence) of IPC against unknown persons relating to accidental death of Gopinath Munde, the then Union Minister for Rural Development and Punchayati Raj (GOI) at Delhi on June 3, 2014," CBI spokesperson said here today.
She said the agency took up the investigation of the case on the orders of government of India and inspected the scene of crime.
Sixty four-year-old Munde, a popular backward class leader from Maharashtra, was on his way to Indira Gandhi Airport on June 3 when his car was hit by another vehicle at the Prithviraj Road-Tughlak Road roundabout in the heart of the national capital.
Munde died due to shock and haemorrage following injuries to his neck and liver in the road accident.
Delhi Police had registered a case against 32-year-old Gurvinder Singh, the driver of the car which hit Munde`s vehicle.
BJP leaders from Maharashtra, including former party president Nitin Gadkari, had sought a CBI inquiry into Munde`s death.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar had also asked Modi to initiate a CBI probe into the incident to bring out the "facts" and assuage the feelings of the BJP leader`s supporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read