Government scheme to help women in Maoist areas
New Delhi: The government Tuesday launched a scheme to strengthen women`s self help groups in districts across the country where Maoists are active to provide more livelihood opportunities.
A memorandum of understanding was signed between the ministry of rural development and NGO `Pradan` to undertake developmental and training activities in "hardcore Naxal-affected districts".
"The scheme will be implemented in some of the districts of Chhattisgarh, Bihar, Jharkhand and Odisha in the first phase," Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh told reporters.
Giving details, he said there would be three projects. The first would help in the production and marketing of Tasar silk in Jharkhand, Bihar, Odisha, Chattisgarh and West Bengal.
The project, which will have a time span of three years, will help 18,000 families. It has a budget of Rs.50 crore.
The second project will promote sustainable agriculture through women-headed households.
It will be implemented in Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Odisha with a budget of Rs.20 crore.
The third part of the programme will help in training girls for alternative sources of livelihood.
The programme would be undertaken as part of the National Rural Livelihood Mission, which is aimed at helping generate employment in rural areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested